Senior Mechanical Engineer
About the role
As ClearMotion continues to develop our product toward the first commercial high-bandwidth active-suspension systems, we need to ensure a solid mechanical foundation of our current and future products.This role is a Senior Mechanical Engineering position focused on the design of the ClearMotion high-bandwidth electrohydraulic actuator.
The candidate will be the lead designer responsible for managing the entire design cycle from initial new product inception to durability testing and production release.Extensive background in Solidworks modelling, vehicle packaging, and suspension system is necessary. This position will be based out of our headquarters in Billerica, MA, although a 100% remote role will be considered. Occasional travel to visit partners and customers is required.
- Serve as a lead design engineer of ClearMotion’s high-bandwidth actuator and hydro-electric systems.
- Collaborate on production designs with external partners and customers.This candidate will serve as the primary technical design contact for certain customer programs.
- Lead a mechanical development team to ensure the on-time development of reliable products.
- Own multiple critical aspects of the assembly and deliver designs that meet our most challenging requirements of integration space within vehicle environment, performance, reliability, and cost.
- Drive workstreams involving internal stakeholders and strategic partners to progress actuator maturity through our product development process.
- Lead design reviews focused on concept designs showing verification through analysis, simulation, and lab/bench testing.
- Develop validation plans based on analysis, simulation and FMEA to mitigate potential risks.
- Collaborate cross functionally to convert system requirements into hydraulic, mechanical and electrical design requirements providing the engineering team validation and verification targets.
- Create, review and release drawings at both the component and assembly level where GD&T fundamentals, tolerance stack analysis, FMEA, design for manufacturing and assembly are considered and implemented.
- Participate in improving the ClearMotion product development process.
- Experience with high volume manufacturing processes such as machining, casting, injection molding, stamping, forging, and welding is appreciated
Essential Qualifications & Experience
- 5+ years of experience developing mechanical and/or hydro-mechanical systems in the automotive industry, preferably Tier 1 or Tier 2 supplier.
- Experience with automotive chassis engineering including vehicle suspensions.
- Damper or hydraulic roll system design experience is ideal
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline
- Demonstrated proficiency using Solidworks and Solidworks EPDM (this is our preferred internal CAD development package)
- Catia proficiency is appreciated
- Ability to perform and apply FEA (Ansys preferred) as a tool within the product development process.
- Demonstrate understanding and working knowledge of DFMEA and DVP&R within the product development process
- Formal GD&T Training or certification
- Ability to work in a fast-paced development environment
- Excellent communication and collaborative experience with global cross functional teams.
- Ability to drive consensus at levels (parallel, upwards, and downwards) in a complex organization, and drive execution based on decision.
- Can show proven success in an atmosphere with varying amounts of ambiguity, but still able to set and deliver on plans with proven processes.
- Willingness and ability to travel, as necessary.
- Ability to influence internal and external technical experts and decision-makers
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
We are an equal opportunity employer; applicants, employees and former employees are protected from employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, and genetic information (including family medical history), or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Pay Type Salary
- Billerica, MA, USA